In summer, your biggest care should be about having enough food for your deck party, and not how to repair a rotted deck or a broken appliance. Preventing problems before they happen is the key to summer home maintenance in Indianapolis. When you inspect and fix small problems you see, you can guard against larger, more expensive problems in the future. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that help you stay in control of your house’s maintenance before bigger problems happen.
1. Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Summer is the perfect time in Indianapolis to increase your home’s energy efficiency so that you can keep the heat out and your utility bills low. Start by checking your windows and doors for air leaks. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace cracked weatherstripping if you feel air passing through. Check your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace it if needed.
Purchasing energy efficient window treatments like plantation shutters is another way you can reduce your energy bill - and perhaps even qualify for a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters lower the transfer of air through your window’s glass. They’re 70% more energy efficient than traditional wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which many homes currently use.
2. Brighten Up Your Porches And Patios
If you’re planning on entertaining on your patio or porch during the summer, ensure it’s in tip-top shape for all your guests. Start by checking your deck or patio for safety. Look underneath to see if there are any stairs, supports, or boards that should be replaced because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Give your deck and patio a fresh look and shield it from the summer sun and rain by staining or sealing it.
Once you’ve fixed any soft boards and areas and sealed your patio, it’s time for the fun part: dressing it up. Add interest to the windows and doors attached to your porch and patio by installing window treatments like plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors or sidelight shutters. Then bring in stylish patio furniture or perhaps even a fire pit. Finally, landscape the area around your patio or porch to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Broken or leaky appliances can put a stop to your fun summer plans. Here’s a list of things to watch out for with your major appliances to keep them humming along:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils make your fridge work harder than it needs to and increase your utility bill. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Start by unplugging your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to remove all the lint and dirt from the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any lines that are leaking or backed up water. Then give it a deep clean and deodorize it by running a cycle with a cup of vinegar. Finally, clean out the filter (located underneath the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any cracks, leaks, or bulges. If needed, replace the hoses. Once a year, you should clean your dryer hose and exterior vent or hire a professional to do the job.
Enjoy Your Summer
By maintaining your home and appliances, you’ll be able to have a carefree summer. If you’re interested in giving your home a fresh look this season with window treatments for your patios, living rooms, or kitchen, check out our idea gallery and then call us for a free in-home consultation at 317-558-9066. We’ll show you all your window treatment options in Indianapolis and do all the measuring, work, and installation so you can sit back and enjoy your summer.